I am a busy, busy mum and not only do I have to feed two hungry monsters but I also have a husband who is 6.3” and is a rugger bugger… His tummy knows no bounds!
So what do I do when I have the three of them complaining all at the same time that Captain Rumble is in the house?!
Well, I have a few quick fire recipes I can pull out of the hat.
Firstly, I always have the list of ingredients below in the fridge, freezer or cupboard so I have the basics for these meals at any given time.
For a lot of the ingredients used, you’ll have loads left over! Or you may already have them...
Chicken (freezer), basil, parsley, mint, coriander (freezer), sesame seeds, red peppers (jar), capers (jar), feta cheese, vegetable buillion, tomato puree, crème fraiche or natural yogurt, light soy sauce, pasta, rice, tortilla wraps, lemon juice
- ASDA £6.74 (or £1.68 per person based on a family of four)
- Sainsbury’s £7.66
- Tesco £7.29
Pitta bread or plain pizza base, tomato puree, grated cheddar or cooking mozzarella, basil leaves, pepperoni slices, mushrooms.
Optional toppings: sundried tomatoes, anchovies, capers, sliced red onions, sweet corn.
- If using the pitta bread option toast one side under the grill, remove when crispy and place toppings on the uncooked side.
- Pop back under the grill for about 8 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Easy peasy cheesy pasta
- ASDA £7.03 ( or £1.75 per person)
- Sainsbury’s £8.30
- Tesco £7.78
1 kg bag of pasta (you will probably only use half this maximum), 1 x pack feta cheese, 1 x red pepper, 1 x tub crème fraiche, basil, ½ red onion, 1 x pack rocket/salad leaves (optional).
For the garlic bread
1 x small baguette, 4 cloves garlic, 25g butter.
- Fry the onion in oil
- Add the red pepper and cook until soft
- Crumble the cheese into the mix
- Add the crème fraiche
- Add a pinch of vegetable bouillion
- Add the basil
For the garlic bread
- Cut the baguette into 1 ½ inch slices and toast on one side under the grill
- Puree the garlic and mix with slightly warmed butter
- Spread on the baguette on the soft side and place back under the grill until brown
- Drain the pasta and rinse under cold water
- Top with the sauce and serve with a handful of rocket and some homemade garlic bread.
I am assuming you may already have honey and rice so won’t price this into the recipe.
- Sainsbury’s £9.36 (or £2.34 per person)
- ASDA £9.56
- Tesco £9.80
Chicken (for our family I use 2 x chicken breasts and 3 x boneless chicken thighs), 1 tbsp sesame seeds, 1 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp light soy sauce, 1 x garlic clove (paste), rice, 1 tbsp, coriander, splash of lemon juice.
- Cut the chicken into large chunks
- Mix all ingredients together (apart from rice)
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes (remember to turn occasionally – if the mixture is turning too brown and sticky, add a dash of water)
You can also make this with salmon fillets.
- ASDA £12.93 (or £3.23 per person)
- Sainsbury’s £14.83
- Tesco £14.16
If you already have the cumin, paprika and garlic then take off £3.19. If you don’t want to have the jalapenos, take off another £1.45
Shop bought guacamole (you can make your own; it’s very simple and pretty quick also), 1 pot soured cream, cheddar cheese, 1 x medium onions, 2 red or green peppers, 2 chicken breasts or 1 large frying (beef) steak, handful of cherry tomatoes, ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp paprika, 1 x clove garlic, jalapenos (jarred for the adults), 1 x pack tortilla wrap (8 wraps)
- Fry the sliced garlic, onions, peppers, meat, cumin & paprika
- Chop the tomatoes and add a pinch of salt – set aside
- Place the tortilla wraps in the oven to warm for 2-3 minutes until soft
- Dollop the soured cream in the middle and spread
- Dollop the guacamole in the middle and spread
- Add the cooked mixture
- Add some tomato salsa on top
- Add the cheddar cheese (for the adults – add 3 green jalapenos)
- Wrap up in foil and place back in the oven for the cheese to melt
Minty pots & salmon
- ASDA £9.73 (or £2.43 per person)
- Sainsbury’s £12.27
- Tesco £9.58
Salmon fillet, parma ham, green beans, new potatoes, natural yogurt, teaspoon of mayo, fresh mint.
- Mix a pinch of veg bouillon, dash of olive oil, salt & pepper in a ramekin and cover the salmon with it
- Place the salmon on a baking tray and put 1 slice of parma ham over the top of it
- Pop in the oven
- Boil the new potatoes
- Mix the yogurt, mayonnaise and chopped mint together and season – add the cooked potatoes
- Boil the green beans, add a little bit of butter