I think I have found a New Year’s Resolution that I can actually keep to. Not only that, but it is good for me – both physically and mentally, saves money, and can actually save time.
Here it is: whenever possible, I am going to walk rather than use public transport.
According to my online dictionary, the definition of walking is ‘To move over a surface by taking steps with the feet at a pace slower than a run’ – but this is so much better than that.
Let’s look at some benefits of walking to the office:
- I have calculated that I will save at least £40 per month in tube fares.
- I get my exercise done before the day has started – this has cost me nothing, and taken up no time, as I would be travelling to work anyway. Also I can wave goodbye to lugging gym kit and toiletries around, not to mention incessant changing of clothes.
- The journey is stress free. I know exactly how long it will take.
- I will arrive at the office with a clear head, having had time to prepare mentally
- I am in the fresh air
- I always carry my trainers with me, thus increasing the longevity of my shoes
- I can stop en-route to attend to domestic chores – drop off shoes to re-heel, pick up lunch etc.
- I can listen to music or an audio-book, learn a language…
There is a wonderful website which will not only tell you the best route to take on foot, but will also calculate the distance of your walk, how long it will take, how many calories you have burned and how much CO2 you have saved! Check out WalkIt.com.
What’s not to love?
Henrietta Oxlade is an Independent Financial Planner with Radcliffe & Newlands and MyFamilyClub’s in-house finance sage! She has been advising individual clients since March 1988, which is why many of her clients consider her part of the family. If you want to get in touch with Henrietta, email us on [email protected] and we’ll put you in touch.