As the evenings draw in and tea by the fire becomes appealing, treat yourself to a slice of something that combines two classic comfort foods Custard and Crumble!
And why not take off the chill with a mug of warm Belvoir Honey, Lemon & Ginger Cordial.
How many does it serve? 12
Note: This egg free recipe is really moist and sticky. You can use ready- made apple sauce from a jar, or make your own using the autumn windfall apples.
What you need:
- 125g unsalted butter or vegetable margarine
- 125g light brown sugar
- 90g black treacle
- 80g maple syrup
- 50g Belvoir Ginger Cordial
- 250g self-raising flour
- 50g plain flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 170g apple sauce
- 3 balls of stem ginger, finely chopped
For the ingredients:
- 125ml double cream
- 1tbsp icing sugar
- 100ml fresh custard
- 2 ginger nut biscuits, roughly crushed
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/Gas 4/Fan 165oC. Lightly oil a 900g/2lb loaf tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Put the butter, sugar, treacle, syrup and cordial in a medium pan and gently heat, stirring until the butter has melted.
- Sift the flours, ginger and bicarbonate of soda together into a large bowl. Add the syrup mixture, apple sauce and stem ginger and mix well. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 50 minutes -1 hour.
- Leave to cool in the tin.
- Whip the cream and icing sugar together until it is holding its shape then add the custard and whisk until thick. Spread it over the top of the cooled cake and scatter with ginger nuts
Recipe provided to MyFamilyClub by Belvoir Fruit Farms