Succulent beef and salty bacon with delicious lentils all in one big stew. The perfect Winter warmer and really quick to prepare. Serve with mashed potato or crusty bread with salted butter.
Add a little garnish of fresh parsley on top to serve and you have a wonderful dish the whole family can enjoy.
How many does it serve? 4
What is the prep time? 10 mins
What is the cooking time? 60 mins
What you need:
- 250 g Crazy Jack red lentils
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 25 g butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 450 g stewing steak, trimmed and sliced
- 4 rashers unsmoked bacon, chopped
- 1 x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 175 ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ¼ tsp dried mixed herbs
- Handful of black olives
- 4 tbsp soured cream
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
What you do:
- Place the Crazy Jack lentils in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes until partly cooked. Drain and put to one side.
- Heat half the oil and half the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the onions and part cooked lentils and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season the flour and toss the meat in the seasoned flour.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, Worcestershire Sauce, tomato purée, herbs and olives to the lentil pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and leave to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Heat the remaining oil and butter in a large frying pan over a moderate heat until sizzling. Add the floured beef and the bacon pieces and fry for three to four minutes until brown. Add the meat to the lentil and tomato mixture and simmer for five minutes more.
- Spoon into bowls and top each with a dollop of soured cream and a sprinkling of fresh parsley before serving.
Recipe provided to MyFamilyClub by Crazy Jack