A wonderful Irish side dish containing potatoes, spring onions, butter and cream. You can substitute the butter for Flora and the cream for milk, or alternatively leave out altogether.
To be quite honest whilst cream and butter make a richer champ I would only use these ingredients if I was entertaining – otherwise there are too much cholesterol and calories for everyday cooking.
Total time: 45 minutes
- 25g butter or Flora Buttery
- 3.5 lb potatoes (peeled and cut into even chunks)
- 8 spring onions (finely sliced)
- 100ml milk
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
- Pop potatoes into a large saucepan with a pinch of salt and cover with water. Boil for approx 25 minutes, of until they are tender and cooked through
- Drain and cover with a clean tea-towel to absorb the steam. Mash potatoes and cover again
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add milk or cream and heat slightly
- Serve hot