If you’re looking for a really filling salad that’s healthy then this is for you. I use a tin of chickpeas in this recipe but feel free to use the dried version, allowing time for soaking and cooking. Serve on its own, as part of a buffet or with grilled meats etc. It goes lovely with a frittata.
Approx cost: £3.38 in total or 85p per portion
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 can chickpeas (drained, rinsed and dried)
- 1 cucumber (peeled and diced)
- 1 red onion (peeled and diced or sliced)
- 12 cherry tomatoes (washed and cut in half)
- 2 tablespoon parsley (chopped roughly)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Place all the ingredients except for the olive oil, red wine and brown sugar in a large bowl with a little seasoning.
- Place the olive oil, red wine and brown sugar in a saucepan. Heat gently until the sugar has melted.
- Cool the dressing for 10 minutes , after cooling , mix the dressing with the chickpea mixture. gently. Chill for 15 minutes
- Serve in a large bowl for buffet style food or in four individual plates or bowls.