This meatless recipe is a great hit with the family. It’s the perfect solution for saving money and including at least one meatless recipe to the family dinner table each week. Beans are chunky and fleshy and could easily mistaken for the texture of stewing meat.
Approx cost: £5 in total or 83p per portion*
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions (peeled and finely diced)
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 500mls vegetable stock
- 1 can butter beans (drained)
- 1 can kidney beans (drained)
- 1 can chickpeas (drained)
- 0.5 teaspoon brown sugar
- 120mls natural yoghurt
- 6 tortilla wraps
- 1 limes (cut into 6 wedges)
- Heat a large saucepan, add the oil and heat for 1 minute, add the onion, swirl in the oil for 1 – 2 minutes. Add all the spices, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add all the ingredients except for the yoghurt, tortillas, olive oil and lime. Bring to boil, stirring frequently. Turn down the heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the soup is cooking, cut the tortillas into strips. Place in a bowl, add the olive oil, swirl. Place on a baking tray and either crisp under the a hot grill or in a hot oven.
- Taste the soup, season as required. Serve in hot bowls with a spoonful of yoghurt, a lime wedge and the crispy tortillas.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves if you have some growing in a pot.
*(prices correct at time of publication – supermarket prices and offers may vary)