Two of the recipes in this weeks meal plan is based on one poached chicken (alternatively 6 chicken fillets or 12 chicken pieces) and the other my dip in dip out salad.
A well-flavoured poached chicken will make two main meals and a lunchtime broth. Great value and sound nutritional benefits, chicken is a first class protein needed for growth and repair of cells, it is also good for the heart because of it’s low cholesterol. You could use the leftover stock to make a simple leek and potato soup.
Total time: 85 minutes
- 3 kg chicken
- 2-3 litre chicken stock
- Place the chicken in a large saucepan, cover with chicken stock
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and bayleaf
- Bring to boil and cook on simmer for 1 hour 20 minutes
- Leave to cool in the stock for 20 minutes
- Remove and drain on kitchen paper for 30 minutes
- Strain the contents out of the stock. Use the stock for soup
- Remove the skin and bones from the chicken. The meat will just fall away from the bones easily
- Use the chicken meat immediately or place in a container and place in the fridge after cooling
- Use the chicken meat for a variety of recipes