A classic dish, ideal for sharing round on a cold Winter’s night. Light some candles and snuggle up. The pumpkin dishes mean not much washing up. Yay!
How many does it serve? 4
What is the prep time? 20 mins
What is the cooking time? 60 mins
What you need:
- 500g ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tin tomato juice
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 small pumpkin or butternut squash
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tbsp dark brown soft sugar
- 1 tsp yeast extract
- 1 tub crème fraîche
- 30g watercress, finely chopped.
- 700g baby potatoes
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
What you do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Peel and halve the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds. Dice half of the pumpkin into 1cm cubes and reserve. Chop the remaining pumpkin into large chunks, place in an oven tray, drizzle with oil and season. Roast in the oven for approximately 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place a large pot on a medium-high heat. Add half the oil and heat until beginning to smoke. Add the minced beef and fry until browned. Drain the beef onto some kitchen towel.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Add the beef back to the pan then add in the onion, diced pumpkin and pepper, cooking until onions are translucent. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for a further minute before adding the kidney beans, tomato juice, chili powder, sugar, yeast extract and chopped tomatoes. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for one hour.
- Place the potatoes in an oven tray, drizzle with vegetable oil and season. Place in the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes, or until cooked through and crisp on the outside.
- Once the roasted pumpkin is cooked, remove from the oven and place into a blender. Add a ladleful of liquid from the chili and blend until smooth. Add to the simmering pot and stir through. Mix together the crème fraiche and watercress and add seasoning to taste.
- Divide the potatoes between four bowls. Add a ladleful of chilli and serve with a generous dollop of crème fraîche.
Recipe provided to MyFamilyClub by Belvoir Fruit Farms