Toffee-tastic apples to satisfy your sweet tooth. Autumn and Winter just wouldn’t be the same without a toffee apple or two and they are so easy to make.
How many does it serve? 8
What you need:
- 500g shop bought dairy toffees
- 50ml double cream
- 1/4 tsp good quality rock salt (crushed)
- 8 apples & 8 lollipop sticks
- Metcalfe’s Salted Caramel Popcorn
To make the caramel from scratch
- 500g granulated sugar
- 125ml water
- 125ml double cream
- 1/4 tsp rock salt
What you do:
- Wash the apples under a hot tap and dry completely (this will wash off any waxy residue that will prevent the caramel from sticking).
- Place a lollipop stick in the top of each apple.
- Place a baking tray in the freezer to cool it, this will prevent pools of caramel at the bases of the apples.
- Place the toffees and the double cream in a saucepan over a low – medium heat and continually stir until melted, combined and runny enough to coat the spoon.
- Add the rock salt and mix until dissolved.
- Dip the apples in the caramel, coating as evenly as possible and allowing any excess to drip off before placing on your cooled baking tray that has now been lined with greaseproof paper.
- Pop the apples in the fridge for a few minutes to allow the caramel to set slightly.
- Pour a bag of salted caramel popcorn into a bowl and then either dip or place the popcorn on the apples covering as much or as little as you desire.
- Allow to set up for a little longer in the fridge before serving.
- Put the sugar and water in a clean saucepan and place over a medium heat.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar has dissolved and stars to boil.
- Remove the spoon and stop stirring whilst the sugar boils. You can swirl the saucepan to ensure it evenly caramelises.
- When it reaches a deep amber colour and the bubbles have become really small on the surface of the caramel add your double cream whilst stirring at the same time. (This will bubble aggressively and create a lot of steam so keep your face away from the pan).
- Stir in the salt then allow the caramel to cool slightly, it should thicken too.
- Prepare & dip the apples in the same way as the other recipe.
Recipe provided to MyFamilyClub by Metcalfe’s Skinny Popcorn