This is one of my favourite leftover/store cupboard/green day recipes. I usually have all these ingredients in my food store cupboard at any given time. Delicious served hot of course but equally delicious served cold with a salad for lunch the next day.
Total time: 35 mins
- 1 onion (peeled and finely diced)
- 1 tblsp olive oil (or sunflower oil)
- 1 sweet red pepper (deseeded and finely diced)
- 200 g Basmati rice (brown, preferably)
- 600 mls boiling water
- 1 vegetable stock cube (or chicken)
- 50 g frozen green peas (approx)
- 50 g sweet corn (canned) (approx)
- 2 tomatoes (deseeded and chopped finely)
- 150 g tuna canned in water (drained) (approx)
- 1 tsp turmeric (level, optional)
- Fry the onion in a saucepan with the oil for approximately 3 minutes, add the pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and turmeric, stir. Make up 600 mls of vegetable or chicken stock. Add to the rice, stir. Bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Stir and cover for another 10 minutes or until the rice has absorbed the stock.
- Taste and season as required.
- Serve immediately.