Kids Make Hurtful Comments to Peers about Not Having Latest Tech and Their Clothing

0
1253

A new survey by a money-saving website in the UK has revealed that two thirds of British children under the age of 11 have returned home from school upset because of comments made by other children. According to the poll, the hurtful comments most commonly made surround not having the latest tech items/gadgets and the clothes that they wear.

New research has revealed that children under the age of 11 are experiencing nasty comments from their peers when they don’t have the latest gadgets/devices and regarding their clothing.

The team at www.VoucherCodesPro.co.uk undertook a study as part of ongoing research into the lifestyles of children in the UK. 2,166 British parents aged 18 and over, all of whom stated that they have at least one child under the age of 11 years old, were quizzed about their children’s lives.

Initially all respondents were asked ‘Has your child ever returned home from school upset by comments made to/about them by other children?’ to which two thirds of the parents, 63%, said ‘yes’. When asked if they thought their child was being bullied, 17% felt that they were, whereas the remaining 83% felt it was just ‘kids being kids’.

All respondents who stated that their children had returned home upset at one point or another because of comments made by other children, were asked about the nature of what was said. When provided with a list of possible responses and told to select all that applied, or state their own, the top five causes of nasty comments made by other children were as follows:

  1. Not wanting to play with them – 50%
  2. Not having the latest technology/gadgets – 42%
  3. The clothes that they wear – 39%
  4. Because they’re quiet and like to keep themselves to themselves – 21%
  5. Not having the latest toys (non-tech) – 13%

According to the poll, of those who said their children were being picked on because they didn’t have the latest technology and gadgets, 57% of the parents said that they ‘couldn’t afford’ to upgrade their youngster’s gadgets and 28% said they just weren’t comfortable with their children having certain tech and gadgets, for safety reasons.

Furthermore, in the instances where parents felt that their children were being bullied, 41% stated that their first approach was to contact the headteacher or involved teachers at the school, 31% approached the other children’s parents to resolve the situation, and the remaining 28% advised their children to stay away from said children in the playground.

George Charles, spokesperson for www.VoucherCodesPro.co.uk, made the following comments:

“The playground can be a tricky place to navigate as a young child; whilst we like to think that children of a young age are going to be nice, friendly and accepting of everyone, unfortunately they’re likely to make hurtful comments to their peers without realising the consequences. All we can do, as parents, is ensure that our children know how to treat others with respect and kindness.”