If your house is anything like mine, then you’ll have ‘that’ drawer, cupboard or storage box full of old gadgets, usually held prisoner by a thousand unidentified cables that never get used.
It’s hard to keep up with the pace of all the new gadgets and gizmo’s being released on a monthly basis.
Even though I generally only upgrade my smartphone, I still seem to have accumulated a mass of gadgets over the years comprising of camcorders, cordless phones, cameras, mobile phones, tablets and laptops.
I am baffled by my growing tech graveyard and have made a promise to have a good clear out, not only for the cathartic pleasure of not having to lift up a snakes nest of cables once in a while but also to unlock any hidden cash in my gadget collection and declutter.
6 steps to unlocking that cash
- Check the condition and basic specifications of your old device. Check for things like scratches, dents, bumps or marks.
- Check if your phone is fully functional as well, does it turn on and off? Does it make and receive calls or texts and does the screen still display properly. Make sure the battery and SIM card area of the phone is all in working order and also test the charging port by trying to fully charge the device.
- Check each sites terms and conditions as they are individual to the company which can impact the value of your old device.
- Check the instant price on a range of sites to see where you are going to get the best value (see our handy list of sites below) and check what the minimum sales order is. For example, Music Magpie is a £5 minimum per order.
- Once you have entered the details and are ready to send, you’ll need to package the product according to the sites instructions and send off. Most companies will send you free packaging & postage with next steps information.
- The last step is to sit back with a cup of tea and wait for payment. Some companies offer a same day payment depending on item sold.
Top Ten Sites
- MusicMagpie * Hot Deal! * £5 Extra when you trade-in any tech item using code: GET5MORE (valid from 10/9 – 07/10)
- Simply Drop
- O2 Recycle
- EE Recyle & Reward
- Mobile Phone Xchange
- Mobile Cash Mate
- Top Dollar Mobile
We only like ‘smiley faces’ in our household, so we’ll be dusting off our old tech, hoping to find a nostalgic piece that could fetch hundreds and putting the cash we make into our rainy-day fund for fun days out.