Garden play equipment is a common fixture in the garden of most family homes, but they can be both expensive to buy and a lot of hassle to bring home from the shops. We’ve scoured the web to find heaps of discounts and special offers on the most common garden play equipment, most of which are delivered straight to your door!
Children’s swings and slides
Almost all of us can look back to when we were kids and recall hours of fun spent on swings and slides. And there are children’s swings and slides for every budget, from under £30 to well over £1,000. It’s worth noting that you’ll generally pay a lot more for combined swing and slide sets, so we’ve pulled together the best deals for individual swings and slides that won’t break the bank:
- Argos: Argos has 51 different swings, slides and combined play equipment sets available, ranging in price up to £529.99.
The best value swing is the Chad Valley Kid Active Single Swing. The swing comes with ground pegs to secure it to the ground, and is suitable for ages three and over. It is priced at £24.91 – a discount of £5.08 on its standard price.
For slides, Argos is offering a 25% discount on the Smoby Cars 2 XS Slide, which suitable for kids aged 2 and over. Foldable for compact storage, it includes a hose attachment to turn it into a waterslide and measures 90cm in length. It is currently on sale for £29.99, a saving of £10.
- Amazon: There are 108 slides, swings and related products in Amazon’s range. Many are larger combined swing and slide sets or multiple swings on the one frame, which are significantly more expensive than single swings and slides.
The Hedstrom 2 in 1 Swing presents the best value, priced at £47.90 – a small discount of 4% on the standard price. It includes a five-point safety harness, adjustable ropes and chunky seats. Suitability is for kids aged six months to 10 years.
Amazon is also offering a 21% discount on the Hedstrom Wavy Slide. Suitable for ages three to 10, the slide has a broad stabilising bar and high handrails as well as the two-part wave slide. It is currently priced at £54.96 – a saving of just over £15.
- Tesco Direct: Tesco Direct has a large range of swings, slides and activity sets to choose from – and some are currently heavily discounted. Better still, you can keep your cash and buy them outright using your Clubcard points.
Tesco Direct is offering one-third off the normal price of the Tesco Double Swing Set. Its seats can be height adjusted and the set is suitable for ages 3+. Its price of £39.83 is a saving of £20 on the usual price. Or you can buy it for 39 Clubcard points.
The Tesco Wavy Slide looks similar to that offered by Amazon, but comes at a significantly cheaper price. Suitable for ages three and over, it too has steel railings and a wavy slide, yet is currently on sale for just £39.86 – a £20 discount on its usual price. Alternatively, you can buy it outright for 39 Clubcard points.
Trampolines are one of the most popular garden play equipment for kids around the world, and are plenty of fun as well as good exercise. Prices vary greatly, but these deals offer a great opportunity to save some of your hard-earned cash:
- Tesco: Tesco has quite a big range of cheap trampolines, in various shapes and sizes, including those with surrounding safety nets. One of the biggest discounts at present is on the Plum 6ft Trampoline and Enclosure. It includes UV treated pink foam pads and tall surrounding safety net. It is suitable for three years and over, although it has a weight limit of 60kg, making it unsuitable for adults or groups of kids. It is currently 33% off at £101.05 – a £58.86 discount. Or you can buy it for 101 Clubcard points.
- The Trampoline Collection: A specialist retailer, The Trampoline Collection offers a huge range of trampolines to suit everyone’s budget and garden size. Sizes range from 6ft to 16ft and trampolines come in round, rectangular and even hexagonal shapes and your choice of colour. Prices start from £139.99 for a round 6ft trampoline, including free delivery – a nearly 50% discount on the standard price.
- Trampoline Warehouse: Trampoline Warehouse is another specialist trampoline retailer, although its range is largely restricted to round trampolines. It is offering a range of sizable discounts across its full range, although the best value is a 50% discount on its Leapfrog Super 6ft trampoline package. For £119.99, you can get the 6ft round trampoline, woven jump mat, PVC padding and 2.15m safety enclosure. The package also includes a free weather cover, ladder and suspension tool kit as well as free delivery.
Outdoor climbing frames
Ideal for active kids with boundless energy, outdoor climbing frames come in a huge range of shapes, sizes and designs – meaning that you’re spoilt for choice and bound to find something that fits your budget and your garden.
- Early Learning Centre: Early Learning Centre has a mixture of climbing frames and activity centres available to buy. A popular yet relatively inexpensive one is the TP Explorer Jungle Run, which acts as a ladder, ramp and bridge in one. It is currently discounted by £12, at £47.99.
- John Lewis: John Lewis also stocks some of the TP Explorer range of outdoor climbing frames, including the TP838 Explorer Climbing Frame. While it doesn’t come cheap at £127.99, it is made of strong, small tubes of steel and has a lifetime guarantee against rust – meaning your kids should get years of fun with it.
- Amazon: If space is an issue, why not go upwards with a rope ladder. Amazon has a number of rope ladders and nets designed specifically for children to climb and play on, including the Residential Polyhemp Scramble Net. Measuring 7ft by 5ft, it is available for £49.99.
Playing house in their little playhouse will keep the kids entertained for hours. Depending on their size and materials, playhouses can also be a great place for storing other outdoor toys and accessories when not in use!
- Argos: You can choose from 114 different playhouses in the Argos collection, which range from inexpensive tents to elaborate timber play centres. At present, you can get 18% off the BillyOh Junior Tower Playhouse. Made from tongue and groove cladding with styrene windows, the raised timber house includes a 10 year manufacturer’s guarantee against wood rot. It is priced at £229.99 – a saving of £50.
- Tesco: Similarly, Tesco has a diverse range of children’s playhouses. One of the best deals is also one of the cheapest, with one third off the standard price of the Cars 2 Wendy House. The fabric play tent is decorated with designs from the movie Cars 2 and is suitable for littlies aged two and over. It has been discounted to £20 or 20 Clubcard points – a saving of £10.
- John Lewis: While limited in its range, John Lewis has some popular choices for children’s playhouses, including the Little Tikes Evergreen Country Cottage. The durable plastic playhouse comes with closable shutters and full size door, as well as near perfect user reviews. It is priced at £279.99.
Cheap paddling pools
On the days the sun reappears, bringing with it the warmer weather, kids of all ages love to splash about in the pool – and there are plenty of designs, sizes, colours and (of course) prices out there.
- Amazon: Somewhat bigger is the Jumbo Size Paddling Pool from Amazon. The rectangular shaped pool is a massive 2.69m long and 1.75m wide. It is on sale at just £16.50 – a £10.49 discount on its standard price.
- Argos: Argos has a huge range of cheap paddling pools starting from as little as £3.99. One of the best deals, however, is a semi-permanent pool, complete with pump, patch kit and pool cover. The 10ft East Set Paddling Pool is 76cm deep – making it an ideal pool for the whole family to enjoy. It is currently 25% off at £44.99.
Important note on quality
When choosing garden play equipment for children, it is really important to consider the quality of the product you are buying – for both safety and value for money. Some products can be made from poor quality materials, making them damage easily during set up or even while being delivered to your home. Moving pieces, especially swings, may need to be cemented into the ground to make them properly secure – which increases both your set up time and costs. The deals we have presented rely on a mixture of price and quality as determined by user reviews.