Powdered Cinnamon Kills 4 Year Old Boy – Mother Warns Other Parents

0
5903

You wouldn’t think something as basic as a regular cooking ingredient could be so fatal. A young boy climbed up on a counter and found a container full of cinnamon and ingested some of it.

He immediately started choking and collapsed where he was rushed to hospital but sadly died an hour and a half later.

4-year-old-dies-after-eating-cinnamon

Image Souce: WXPI

Matthew’s mother, Brianna is sharing her story to help warn people of the dangers of powdered cinnamon, especially people partaking in the crazy challenge on Youtube called ‘The Cinnamon Challenge’ where you can clearly see people putting a spoonful of powdered cinnamon in their mouth and choking.

Brianna says that when she found him he was in a seizure-like state and just collapsed. Cinnamon according to the Coroner who ruled the death was accidental said that cinnamon when inhaled can cause asphyxiation.

In March 2012, the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) issued a warning in their press release about the rise of the challenge and the dangers. Their data showed that 2011 poison centres received 51 calls about teen exposure to cinnamon and that in the first three months, the number had gone up to 139 calls.

It certainly pays to be aware of the dangers whether you have young children or a teen.

As a mother of three children, I had no idea this could happen from cinnamon and I am extremely grateful to Brianna for raising awareness which will no doubt save lives.

Image Source: Huffington Post

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY