A retro dessert of cake, fruit and ice cream covered in meringue was popular in the 70s and 80s. The secret lies in taking out the ice cream from the freezer at the last moment.
Total time: 35 mins
- 1 sponge cake
- 400 g fruit cocktail (canned, drained)
- 1 ice cream block
- 2 tblsp sherry (otional)
- 3 egg whites
- 125 g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 400ºF / 200ºC / gas mark 6 / moderately hot.
- Place the sponge to fit into a pretty looking oven proof bowl or dish.
- Sprinkle with 3 or 4 spoonfuls of juice from the canned fruit cocktail and the sherry, if using.
- Make the meringue by whisking the egg whites until peaking, in a clean glass or stainless steel bowl.
- Add a spoonful of sugar into the meringue, whisk and continue adding sugar until half the sugar is used up.
- Gently fold in the rest of the sugar. To test the meringue, hold the bowl upside down. The meringue should stay put in the bowl.
- Place the fruit over the cake, place the ice cream on top. Cover with the meringue.
- If you use a dish rather than a bowl you must surround all the sides with the meringue to protect the ice cream from the heat of the oven.
- Immediately place into the very hot oven, until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.