Easy, delicious and cheap, especially if you are savvy enough to use bread or fruit scones or even hot cross buns that would be thrown out in a matter of days. Milk and egg base are could nutritional balance to any meal.
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 fruit scones, bread or hot cross buns
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoon butter
- 200 ml milk
- 4 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Oven Temperature: 325ºF – 160ºC – Gas Mark 3 – Moderate
- Slice each slice of bread, fruit scone or hot cross bun into three slices. Butter each top side
- Place slices in a small earthenware dish, overlapping slightly. Will take 2 layers
- Sprinkle each layer with sugar and nutmeg
- Beat eggs and milk together. Pour over buns. Sprinkle with sugar and nutmeg
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes whilst oven is heating
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes approximately or until egg mixture is set
- Serve warm with poached fruit if desired although it is perfectly tasty served on its own.