This recipe is ideal if you are out of eggs but want to put together a delicious chocolate cake for tea. Children love making this chocolate mayonnaise cake as it is so easy!
Serves: Makes an 18cm cake
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
225g caster sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
200g jar of mayonnaise
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
225ml boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the icing:
2 level teaspoons instant coffee
2 level tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons warm water
75g butter softened
225g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) mark 4.
- Line an 18 cm cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and stir in the caster sugar and baking powder. Beat the mayonnaise well into the flour – it is very important to beat thoroughly into the dry ingredients.
- Dissolve the cocoa in the boiling water and stir this gently until it’s smooth. Add to the flour mixture with the vanilla essence and give it a quick stir. Stir everything thoroughly until all the ingredients are blended but this time, don’t beat the mixture because that will spoil it. Just keep stirring it gently until all the lumps are gone.
- Pour the cake mixture into the tin. Bake for about an hour or until the centre feels springy and a skewer comes out clean. Leave the cake in the tin to cool before turning out onto a wire rack.
- For the topping, dissolve 2 teaspoons of coffee and 2 tablespoons of cocoa in 2 tablespoons of hot water. Add the soft butter and the icing sugar. Beat the mixture thoroughly ensuring there are no lumps and spread it over the cake.
There you have it! 6 simple steps and you’ve got yourself a yummy chocolate cake. The fun doesn’t stop there, though! Check out the rest of our MyFamilyClub Budget Baking series for great ideas for snacks, treats, and desserts:
- Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- Raspberry Swiss Roll
- Victoria Sandwich
- Warm Chocolate Surprise
- New York Cheesecake
- Light And Fluffy Cupcakes
If your sweet tooth still isn’t satisfied give these awesome recipes a try:
This recipe is provided by LoveFoodHateWaste.