Baby salad potatoes taste great with this dish, plus there’s no prep to do – just pour them into a pot of mildly salted water and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. Add pinto, kidney or black beans to the tomato relish along with 1 tsp of cumin or paprika for a taste of Mexico.
Approx cost: £4.68 in total or £1.17 per portion
Total time: 40 minutes
- 500g white fish (chunky pieces)
- 600g baby potatoes
- 1 lime (zest and juice)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 pack cherry tomatoes (vine)
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- Marinate fish with lime juice and zest for no more than 30 minutes. Put potatoes on to boil.
- Whilst the fish is marinating, cut the tomatoes in half. Heat the oil in a frying pan, fry onions for 2 – 3 minutes, add tomatoes and fry together until onions are cooked but not brown,
- Add the sugar, vinegar and tin of tomatoes stir gently until the sugar has melted. Bring to boil. Turn down and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Taste and season with a little salt and pepper (depending on the sweetness preferred, add a little more sugar)
- Add the chopped parsley. Keep warm. Drain potatoes, keep warm.
- Pan fry the seasoned fish in the remaining oil (heat up first), turning once. (Presentation side down first)
- Serve on a warm plate with tomato relish and warm baby salad potatoes.