This is a firm favourite with the family. Save money on this dish by using up vegetables that you may have in the kitchen before you purchase more or swap the chicken for chickpeas and cubes of cheese.
The aroma of the Chinese 5 Spice as it coats the cooking chicken and vegetables is mouthwatering. The beauty of this dish is that if you are wise enough to cut the chicken into tiny bite size pieces then you will have the meal in front of the family before they ask ‘What’s for Dinner Tonight’. Serve with cooked noodles if the family is very hungry.
Approx cost: £7.14 or 1.78 per portion
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 fresh lime (juice and zest)
- 2 garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 pack coriander (leaves) (fresh)
- 3 chicken fillets ( trimmed and cut into bite size pieces)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 onion (sliced & diced)
- 1 broccoli (cut from stem and broken up)
- 3 carrots (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 red pepper (de-seeded & diced)
- 50g walnuts (optional)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Add fresh lime juice, minced garlic, chopped fresh coriander, and seasoning to a bowl
- Add chicken breasts to marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for minimum 20 minutes
- Remove chicken breasts from marinade and fry in olive oil in a hot wok until cooked
- Remove chicken and keep warm
- Add sesame oil to the wok. Fry onions for a few minutes, add fresh broccoli, all other vegetables & walnuts to wok. Stir-fry four minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce. Add chicken to wok Stir-fry for 1 minute
- Serve with cooked hot noodles if very hungry.