Delicious, nutritious and suitable all the year round. Nothing beats home made coleslaw. Made correctly it should only have a little coating of dressing or mayonnaise, not drowning in dressing. Use red cabbage for a change and feel free to add fresh or dried roast peanuts/nuts. Alternatively make a dressing using 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoon olive oil a very good pinch of sugar and seasoning.
Total time: 25 mins
- 1 white cabbage (small)
- 2 carrots (peeled and grated)
- 1 medium onion (peeled, sliced very thinly)
- 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise (light, low salt)
- 50g of walnuts (optional)
- 2 pinches of cracked black pepper
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- Cut the cabbage into quarters, remove core and shred finely. Wash and dry with kitchen paper.
- Place the cabbage in a bowl with the grated carrots, onion slices, mayonnaise, seasoning and walnuts which have been cut into quarters.
- Stir gently until all the ingredients are mixed in together.
- Transfer into a clean bowl. Chill in the fridge before serving
- Serve with hot or cold meats, quiches, pizzas, baked potatoes, etc.