This stew is quick to prepare and because of the paprika has a delicious reddy rich sauce. Closest stew to the Hungarian Goulash.
Adding extra vegetables like root vegetables at the beginning or spinach or peas towards the end of the cooking time will add extra nutrients and save having to use another saucepan.
Total time: 130 minutes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 0.5 kg stewing steak
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 onions (large)
- 2 litres beef stock
- Oven Temperature: 275ºF – 140ºC – Gas Mark 1 – Cool
- Heat oil in a heavy based saucepan, add beef which has been trimmed of fat and cut into bite size pieces
- Add onions which have been coarsely diced and cook gently for 3 minutes.
- Add flour and paprika powder, stir well
- Add tomato puree and stock. Stir well
- Add sliced root vegetables at this stage if using.Bring to boil, simmer gently for 120 minutes approximately
- Meat should fall apart when you cut into it
- Alternatively place stew in a casserole dish and cook for the same length of time with a lid of foil
- Extra liquid can be added if required
- Serve with crusty bread and butter or rice , noodles or potatoes.