On a cold winter’s and all you want for lunch is something to warm you up. This recipe is the answer as all the ingredients are available if you have a good efficient store cupboard. Add extra ingredients like celery, peppers and even fresh chili (or a little chili powder) or hot pepper sauce for a kick. Serve with crusty bread or home made brown bread.
Approx price: £2.13 or 53p per portion
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1oOnion (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 litre of chicken stock
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 300 g of lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme (dried)
- Heat a saucepan, add the oil and heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the diced onion and cook for 1-2 minutes. Now add the garlic and stir.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Blend whilst hot using a stick blender.to make a smooth soup, alternatively serve without .
- Adjust the consistency by boiling rapidly to thicken or add more stock to thin. Taste and season as required