Chickpeas can be replaced with any beans you may have in the store cupboard, including baked beans. Leave whole or blitz the soup if you prefer a smooth soup. Serve with a delicious wrap.
Approx price: £1.13 or 28p per portion
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic puree
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 litre vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or rosemary)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (preferably cherry tomatoes)
- Heat oil in saucepan.
- Add onion and cook until soft but not brown.
- Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
- Add remainder of ingredients (drain the chickpeas and rinse under cold water) and bring to a high temperature.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Taste and season. Blend soup in a food processor or blitz with a hand blender (optional)
- Serve with brown bread or scones.