Falafel, rich in plant protein and served with salad, sour cream and toasted pitta bread offer a quick wholesome and delicious meatless meal. Leftovers can be served cold for lunch or frozen and reheated.
Cost: £4.78 or £1.1 per portion
Total time: 30 mins
- 1 can chickpeas (drained)
- 1 onion (peeled and diced)
- 2 teaspoon garlic puree
- 3 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 egg
- 2 pinches seasoning
- 1 bag rocket leaves (washed)
- 1 red bell pepper (de-seeded and sliced finely)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (de-seeded and sliced finely)
- 200mls canola oil (sunflower or rapeseed oil)
- 150mls sour cream
- 4 pitta breads
- Place all the ingredients except for the rocket, peppers, oil and sour cream into a food blender.
- Blitz for 2 minutes for a course mixture and 3 – 4 minutes for a smooth mixture. I would suggest you experiment with the textures.
- Remove every last spoonful of the mixture and place in a bowl. Form balls, smaller than the size of golf balls. I find slightly damp hands works better.Leave these in a fridge for as long as you can. At least 10 minutes and preferably 1 hour.
- Heat 5cm of oil in a pan, when hot add the falafel. They should only take 4 -5 minutes to brown. Keep warm.
- Whilst the falafel is resting, make the salad by frying the peppers in a little oil, season after draining.
- To serve, place the rocket on individual plates, arrange the peppers on the rocket with the falafel. Spoon a little sour cream on the side. Serve with warm sliced pitta bread.