Recipe tip: this recipe involves no more than 15 minutes preparation and 30 minutes cooking time so a total of 45 minutes from start to finish.
Even people who don’t like spicy food like the taste of fresh ginger and for children it’s a good way to introduce them to stronger and more challenging tastes.
This recipe for Ginger Chicken is a weekly favourite with everyone in Polly’s house – the kids love the zingy tastes, slurping up noodles and gnawing on drumsticks, and for Polly it’s easy and cheap to make and she knows the kids are getting a good, healthy meal. Serve with broccoli or green beans stir-fried in sesame oil with a little garlic.
8 cm piece ginger, peeled and chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp soy sauce
Juice ½ lemon
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
8 chicken thighs or drumsticks (or a mixture of both), skinned
300g egg noodles (more if your family have big appetites!)
3 spring onions, finely sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan oven), gas 7.
- Mix the together all the ingredients aside from the chicken and noodles in large, flat oven-proof dish.
- Add the chicken and turn it over in the sauce so that it’s well coated then place in the oven for 40 minutes. Half way through cooking baste the chicken in sauce.
- 10 minutes before the chicken is ready, cook the noodles in a generous amount of water.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, place the noodles in four bowls with chicken and sauce on the top. Sprinkle with the spring onions and serve with stir-fried broccoli or green beans.