Gnocchi are small, Italian dumplings and can be made with semolina, potato flour, wheat flour or even breadcrumbs.
Readymade gnocchi are widely available and are perfect for a quick and filling meal. As with pasta, there are an infinite way of serving gnocchi. This recipe for baked gnocchi with ham and peas is creamy, rich and very satisfying.
Preparation: 5 minutes to prepare; 20 minutes to cook
- 500g fresh gnocchi
- 200g frozen peas
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 200g streaky bacon, snipped into 1cm pieces
- 4 spring onions, trimmed & sliced
- 100g creme fraiche
- 40g Parmesan, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the gnocchi according to the instructions but 3 minutes before they are cooked add the peas
- Meanwhile, heat the oil and when hot add the bacon, fry until it is crisp and has given off its fat. Lift it out with a slotted spoon and fry the spring onions
- Preheat the grill to a medium setting
- Once the spring onions are soft, add the creme fraiche & stir until it’s melted
- Strain the gnocchi and peas and toss with the bacon and onion before tipping into an ovenproof dish
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and grill until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve with a salad.
Recipe tip: Instead of frozen peas use broad beans or spinach. It would also be good with mushrooms which you would need to fry with the spring onions rather than cooking with the gnocchi.