Spaghetti and meatballs is a classic Italian dish that children love. Make sure they are perfect bite-size pieces for little mouths! Use lean beef – an excellent source of protein, which is needed for growing bodies and repair of cells.
Approx total cost: £2.81 or 70p per portion*
Total time: 40 mins
- 250g mince beef (lean)
- 2 onions (diced finely)
- 50g bread crumbs
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 20g flour
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- Half a teaspoon of mixed herbs
- 150g spaghetti (cooked)
- 50g cheese (grated)
- Oven temperature: 325ºF – 160ºC – Gas Mark 3 – Moderate
- Mix mince, one diced onion, a pinch of seasoning and breadcrumbs in a large bowl.
- Add a beaten egg to bind together.
- Sprinkle over a little flour and make into small balls. Place in a greased pie dish.
- Spray with oil or roll in the pie dish. Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes at 160ºC or until cooked.
- To make tomato sauce – sweat one diced onion and garlic.
- Add mixed herbs seasoning and chopped tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Season to taste.
- Pour over meatballs and cook for a further 15 minutes in the oven.
- Serve with spaghetti and grated cheese.
- Leftovers can be either frozen in individual containers or reheated for lunch the following day.
*(prices correct at time of publication – supermarket offers and prices may vary)