This is a really tangy tasting dessert. I normally make individual pies but feel free to bake a 20cm pie. Make your own pastry case if you have plain flour in the store cupboard alternatively purchase them.
Total time: 50 minutes
- 3 lemons (juice and zest)
- 75 g caster sugar
- 300 mls water
- 2 tblsp cornflour (level)
- 4 tblsp water
- 3 medium egg (separated)
- 125 g granulated sugar
- 6 pastry cases (individual sizes or 120cm case)
- Oven Temperature: 250ºF – 120ºC – Gas Mark ½ – very cool
- Place lemons, granulated sugar and 300 mls water in saucepan and heat gently until sugar is dissolved.
- Mix cornflour and 4 tblsp of water to form a paste and add to saucepan
- Cook for 3 or 4 minutes, until thick and glossy
- Cool for at least 15 minutes or else the egg yolk will curdle the mixture
- Add egg yolk to cooled mixture
- Whisk egg whites and add 1/2 caster sugar slowly whilst whisking to make a meringue
- Fold in the rest of the sugar into the meringue
- Place lemon filling into the baked pastry cake
- Top with the meringue
- Bake in a cool oven for at least 20 minutes. Longer for a crispy topping.