If you have cooked up this batch recipe ahead of time it is a great comforting recipe to have ready and waiting in the freezer.
Just remember to take it out of the freezer in the morning, so all you will need to do is pop it in the oven at step 5. Serve with a tomato salad and crisp green salad. This recipe uses ground cumin and coriander for an authentic flavour, but omit if your children don’t like spicy flavours.
This is a good recipe for adding leftover potatoes and vegetables. By scrubbing the potatoes and not peeling them you are saving on excess waste, also a lot of the nutrients come form the potato skin.
500g waxy potatoes, scrubbed and cut into thick slices
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
½ teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
900g minced lamb
700ml chicken stock either homemade or from cubes
75g plain flour
1.2 litres milk
1 teaspoon mustard
250g leftover grated cheese
Pinch of nutmeg
2 x 400g Canned chopped tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) mark 5. Put the potatoes in a large pan of water, bring up to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes until they are just cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion, garlic and spices and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Turn up the heat and add the lamb mince and cook, stirring, for another 4-5 minutes, add the tomatoes and season well. Continue to cook for about 20-25 minutes adding the stock in stages.
- To make the sauce, place the butter, flour, milk and mustard in a small saucepan and, whisking continuously, cook over a medium heat until the sauce begins to boil and thicken. Turn down the heat to its lowest and let the sauce cook for 2 minutes. Allow to cool a little then add the grated cheese (reserving a handful for the topping) and eggs, nutmeg and seasoning.
- In a large shallow ovenproof dish or individual freezer dishes, layer the meat with the potato slices, finishing with a neat layer of potato slices. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and sprinkle with the reserved grated cheese.
- Place in the preheated oven to cook for 25-30 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
This recipe is provided by LoveFoodHateWaste