This pea and onion frittata is perfect for a healthy meat-free meal. It’s not only filling, but inexpensive and easy enough to whip up after a busy day. Save your leftovers for lunch the next day for a packed lunch or picnic – the Spanish often eat a slice for lunch in a roll. It will keep well in the fridge for up to three days.
The frittata is cooked in a frying or sauté pan and then transferred into the oven to finish, which means a pan with a metal handle is required. Play around with your ingredients – add some ham or chicken – to suit your tastes and create the perfect family meal.
Approx cost: £1.53 or 38p per portion
Total time: 30 minutes
- 8 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 100g frozen green peas
- 150g cheese (grated)
- Break the eggs and beat with a fork
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan, add the onions and fry for 4 minutes
- Add the peas and fry for 2 minutes, stirring all the time
- Add the onions and peas to the egg mixture
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in the frying pan, when it is hot, pour in the egg mixture
- Season with salt and cracked black pepper
- Cook on low heat until the frittata cooks and sets at the side of the pan