This recipe takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to cook. The grated raw carrot creates texture and nutritionally balances the dish.
Make this a favourite recipe as it is equally good for children, teenagers and adults. I often reduce the cost of the meal by using less meat and adding a tin of drained chickpeas which I always keep in the larder.
Approx price: £2.75 or 69p per portion
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots washed and grated
- 350g lean minced beef
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 120g spaghetti dry
- 200 ml cold water
- 3 tablespoon tomato sauce (no salt)
- Place spaghetti into a pot of boiling salted water. Cook for 15 minutes, drain
- Whilst the spaghetti is cooking, heat a large frying pan, dry fry the beef
- After 7 minutes add the onions, cook for 5 minutes
- Stir a few times
- Add the tin of tomatoes, water, most of the carrots and tomato sauce
- Stir and cook for 10 minutes. Stir making sure to scrape the bottom of the frying pan as the mince often leaves a tasty residue as it fries
- Season to taste. If for some reason you omit the carrots a pinch of brown sugar makes a huge difference to the flavour
- To serve – Place the spaghetti on the warm serving plates, add the bolognese sauce and top with raw grated carrots
- I often add a handful or two of spinach at the last minute. The spinach wilts but adds extra important nutrients.