A full turkey is the best value for families this Christmas – as long as you purchase the right size to feed everyone and use every part of the turkey (including the bones!) to make a broth.
A frozen turkey is perfect as long as you have freezer space and defrost correctly and in time.
Total time: 235 mins
- 4.5 kg turkey
- 50g butter or Flora (green tub) or Flora buttery
- 1 pint chicken/turkey/vegetable stock (vegetable water from cooked vegetables)
- 1-2 tablespoon plain flour
- 2-3 sprigs parsley
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 2 large onion (unpeeled and halved)
- 2 lemon (halved)
- 2 orange (halved)
- Oven Temperature: 350ºF – 180ºC – Gas Mark 4 – Moderate
- Place turkey in a roasting tin. Spread butter all over and season.
- In the neck cavity of the turkey, place the herbs, fruit and onion. Spread butter (or spray oil) over the surface of the turkey
- Cover loosely with foil
- Place on the lower shelf in the over for 20 minutes per lb. plus 20 minutes, or 40 minutes per Kilo plus 45 minutes
- 45 minutes before end of cooking time remove foil if turkey not already a golden brown
- Baste throughout cooking time
- Turn down oven if required
- Test that the turkey is fully cooked by piercing deep into the thickest part of the thigh, and check that no pink juices run out
- Gravy- skim fat from cooking juices in the roasting tin
- Stir in flour (off the heat) to make a paste
- Slowly pour on stock, stirring constantly
- Bring to boil and let bubble for 3-4 minutes
- Sieve to remove any bits and pieces
- Taste and season as required
- Serve with the full compliments of side dishes, cranberry sauce and bread sauce.