This simple homemade sun-dried tomato pesto has a fantastic flavour that blends beautifully with the roasted chicken breast. Serve with a green side salad and crusty bread.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 800 g/1 lb 12 oz in total
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Green salad and crusty bread, to serve
- 125 g/4. oz sun-dried tomatoes in oil (drained weight), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 teaspoon pine kernels, lightly toasted
- 150 ml/5 fl oz extra virgin olive oil
- For the red pesto, put the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, 4 tablespoons of the pine kernels and the oil into a food processor and blend to a coarse paste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Arrange the chicken in a large, ovenproof dish or roasting tin
- Brush each breast with the oil, then place 1 tablespoon of red pesto over each breast
- Using the back of a spoon, spread the pesto so that it covers the top of each breast. (This pesto recipe makes more than just the 4 tablespoons used here. Store the extra pesto in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week)
- Roast the chicken in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until tender and the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the meat
- Sprinkle with the remaining pine kernels and serve with a green side salad and crusty bread.