Start the week by prepping a big container of summer salad. Make sure to store as instructed to avoid any waste.
The family will love dipping in and out of the salad bowl throughout the week. Replace as soon as the contents of the bowl is gobbled up. Much cheaper and fresher than ready bought salad that contains preservatives and sometimes a bleach to keep ingredients clear.
Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 lettuce (your choice)
- 1 cucumber
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 1 carrots
- 8 spring onions
- 1 red pepper (deseeded and diced)
- 1 yellow pepper (deseeded and diced)
- Wash and dry all the vegetables
- Shred the lettuce finely
- Cut cucumber in half lengthways, using a tsp, deseed the cucumber halves
- Discard the seeds
- Chop the flesh into small cubes
- Cut the tomatoes in half, de-seed, discard the seeds. If the flesh halves are big, cut in half again
- Grate the carrots
- Chop the spring onions finely
- Place a sheet of damp kitchen paper in the base of a plastic container
- Add all the salad ingredients including the peppers, mix
- Place a damp sheet of kitchen paper on top of the salad. Cover with a tight lid
- The salad will keep fresh for approx. 2 weeks. Hopefully it will be used up before then though!