A quesadilla is a folded and baked tortilla. They can be filled with whatever takes your fancy, but are normally served with with spicy chicken, mince or pork and a generous helping of cheese. Try making your own gluten free flour tortillas – these will make softer quesadillas, so don’t worry if it doesn’t crisp up as a commercial tortilla would.
Approx total cost: £8.61 or £2.15 per portion*
Total time: 45 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red pepper (de-seeded and diced)
- 3 chicken fillets (cooked and shredded whilst warm)
- 4 tortillas (homemade)
- 100g cheese (grated)
- 1 yellow pepper (de-seeded and diced)
- 12 cherry tomatoes (de-seeded and diced)
- 2 limes (juice and zest)
- 2 spring onions
- 1 avocado (raw and ripe)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 20 millilitres natural yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 onion (peeled and diced)
- 120 millilitres sour cream
- Heat oil in a pan and add the red pepper. Cook for 5 minutes and add shredded chicken.
- To make the quesadillas place tortillas in a hot frying pan, top with the chicken, red peppers and cheese. Season. Cover with another tortilla and press down.
- Heat for 3-4 minutes, press hard and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Repeat with the second quesadilla.
- Whilst these are cooking, prepare the salsa by mixing the cherry tomatoes, yellow pepper and the spring onion with the juice and zest of one lime.
- to make the guacamole, cut the avocados in half and remove the stone. Scoop out the flesh into a bowl. Mash with the onion, garlic and lime juice of the second lime. Add the natural yoghurt and stir gently.
- Cut the quesadillas into quarters. Serve 2 quarters each with salsa and guacamole.
*(prices correct at time of publication – supermarket offers and prices may vary)