This recipe is one you’ll come back to cook time and time again. It’s filling, meatless (everyone should eat a meatless meal at least once a week) and delicious.
Approx price: £3.29 or 82p per portion
Total time: 30 mins
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 red onion (peeled and sliced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and diced)
- 0.5 teaspoon of chipotle chilli flakes (or powder)
- 75 mls of water
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 8 tablespoons of salsa
- 8 tortilla wraps
- 150g cheese (vegetarian)
- 120 mls of sour cream (or natural yoghurt)
- Oven Temperature: 350ºF – 180ºC – Gas Mark 4 – Moderate
- Heat a frying pan for 1 minute, add the oil, heat for 30 seconds. Add the onions and fry for 1 minute. Add the garlic and chilli powder. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add to the pan the water, beans and salsa. Stir well. Leave the beans whole or mash a little if you prefer more of a softer mix.
- Taste, season by adding more chili powder if you prefer hot food and a pinch or two of salt. Smoked paprika is another good spice to add in moderation.
- Fill 8 tortillas with the bean mixture. Roll up, place in a shallow baking dish. Top with the cheese.
- Place in the hot oven for approximately 10 – 15 minutes until the burritos are hot and the cheese melted.
- Serve with a big dish of salad and sour cream.
- If you can’t get the chipotle chili powder which has a hot smoky flavour try 1 teaspoon smokey paprika pepper and 0.5 tsp chilli powder