Stuffed peppers make a delicious filling meal. Almost any ingredient can be used including nuts and fruit. I have kept it very simple for this recipe, but feel free to experiment. Serve with pork chop, sausages, or fish if you like to have meat most mealtimes.
Total time: 45 mins
- 185g basmati rice
- 450mls vegetable stock
- 4 peppers (various colours)
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and diced finely)
- 2 tomatoes (de-seeded and diced finely)
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 0.5 tsp cumin
- 1 can canned black beans (no salt added) (drained optional)
- 100g cheese (grated)
- 50g pine nuts (toasted)
- Cook the rice in the stock for 20 minutes
- Cut the top off each pepper. Reserve. Scoop out the seeds
- Place in a dish with 5cm water. Place in the oven for approx 10 minutes whilst you prepare the filling
- Whilst the peppers and the rice are cooking, fry the onions in a little oil in a frying pan.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, cumin and black beans (optional). Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the oven (before they collapse)
- Mix the rice with the onion mixture, add the cheese. Taste and season. The rice should be dry, having absorbed all the stock). Fill the the peppers to the top.
- Sprinkle the nuts on top. Finally rest the the lid of the pepper on top. Cover in foil and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove foil and cook for a further 5 – 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with home made tomato sauce and a salad.