Just follow the instructions to get one of the most succulent turkeys and a delicious citrus flavour gravy. Keep basting the bird whilst cooking in the oven. Serves 8 -10 with plenty of meat for sandwiches and a leftover dish. Don’t waste the carcass, boil up with a carrots, onions, peppercorn and bay leaves to make a delicious stock for soup.
Approx price: £12.5 or 1.56 per portion (you can get you turkey at Lidl for just £9.99)
Time: 280 mins
- 5 – 6 kg of turkey
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of parsley (use fresh if you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons of rosemary (use fresh if you prefer)
- 2 large onions (unpeeled and halved)
- 1 lemon (halved)
- 1 orange (halved)
- 50g of plain flour
- 500 mls of chicken stock (or turkey, vegetable)
- Oven Temperature: 350ºF – 180ºC – Gas Mark 4 – Moderate
- Place the turkey in a roasting tin.
- In the neck cavity of the turkey, place the herbs, fruit and onion. Spread oil over the surface of the turkey. Season.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Place on the lower shelf in the oven for 40 minutes per Kilo plus 40 minutes – (approx. 4 hours)
- 45 minutes before end of cooking time remove foil to brown the turkey.
- Baste throughout cooking. Test that the turkey is fully cooked by piercing deep into the thickest part of the thigh, no pink juices should run out. Remove the turkey and keep warm.
- Gravy- skim fat from cooking juices in the roasting tin.
- Stir in the flour (off the heat) to make a paste.
- Slowly pour on stock, stirring constantly.
- Bring to boil and let bubble for 3-4 minutes. Sieve to remove any bits and pieces.
- Taste and season as required.
- Serve with the full compliments of side dishes, cranberry sauce, stuffing and bread sauce.