Cook this recipe once and get two meals from it. Both meals share the same basic sauce and half can be used for classic spaghetti bolognese (meal 1) and the other for lasagne (meal 2). It doesn’t take much more effort and will save you time on another day.
Approx cost: £6.77 or 84p per portion
Total time: 60 minutes
- 200g whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 onions (peeled and chopped finely)
- 2 red bell pepper (de-seeded and chopped finely)
- 800g mince beef
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 bunch basil leaves (or 2 tablespoon dried basil)
- 2 pinches brown sugar
- 50g parmesan cheese (grated)
- 8-9 lasagna sheets
- 500mls natural yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- 100g cheddar cheese (low fat) (grated)
- Oven temperature: 350ºF – 180ºC – Gas Mark 4 – Moderate
- Meal 1 – Spaghetti Bolognese.
- Place spaghetti in a pot of boiling salted water and cook for 20 minutes until al dente.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, melt the oil in a heavy base saucepan or large frying pan. Saute onions and peppers. Add meat and cook until brown. Add tomatoes and stock. Cook on simmer until liquid is reduced to a sauce (not too thick). Season to taste, tear half the basil leaves and add to sauce with sugar. Stir.
- Drain spaghetti and serve immediately with half the sauce, topped with Parmesan cheese. Garnish with the rest of the basil.
- Meal 2 – Lasagne (Make on same day as bolognese)
- Make the white sauce by beating the two eggs into the natural yoghurt. Place a couple of spoons of the tomato sauce into the base of a pie dish. Cover with 3 or 4 lasagne sheets. Don’t overlap. Break lasagne to fit the dish. Repeat until all the lasagne sheets and the tomato sauce is used. Top with the white sauce and the cheese. Place in a hot oven for 20 minutes or until the lasagne sheets are cooked and the cheese melted and golden brown.
- Cool lasagne. Place in a fridge and serve the following day. Alternatively cut into 4 – 6 portions and freeze until required.
- Tip: For a more sophisticated sauce, replace 300mls beef stock with 300mls red wine. Simmer for an extra 20 minutes. Taste and add an extra pinch of sugar or seasoning if required.