As usual a delicious meal, made in minutes, using ingredients from your efficient store cupboard. Spice it up with pepper sauce or fresh chilli. Leftovers can be reheated for lunch the next day or frozen in individual portions.
Approx cost: £2.31 or 57p per portion
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions (diced)
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can chickpeas
- 50 g red lentils
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 0.25 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- 1 can sweet corn
- Fry the diced onions in hot olive oil in a large pan. Add the garlic paste and stir.
- Add the rest of the ingredients including the liquid from the canned kidney beans and chickpeas.
- Bring to the boil, turn down ans simmer until the lentils are cooked.
- Check consistency if too thick add a little vegetable stock. Taste and season as required.
- Serve on its own or with rice, potatoes, pasta or crusty bread.