A clear favourite with children and adults alike. I often make this recipe the night before and tuck into it on a busy night. Freeze leftovers in individual portions. Can be used as a vegetable dish with most meats.
Approx total cost: £2.06 or 52p per portion*
Total time: 50 mins
- 200g pasta (penne)
- 1 tblsp cornflour (heaped)
- 500mls milk
- 50g cheese (grated)
- ½ green pepper
- ½ sweet red pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and diced)
- 1 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 25g green beans (cut into 2cm diagonal slices)
- 50g mushrooms (sliced)
- 25g bread crumbs
- Oven Temperature: 350ºF – 180ºC – Gas Mark 4 – Moderate
- Pre-cook pasta
- Whilst the pasta is cooking make the white sauce. Mix 2 tblsp of milk with the cornflour. Heat up the rest of the milk in a pan.
- Add hot milk to the cornflour mix, stirring carefully. Return to saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring continuously.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce. Add half the grated cheese.
- De seed peppers and dice. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onions, fry for 5 minutes add the rest of the vegetables. Stir fry for 10 minutes.
- Add vegetables to the sauce and pasta.
- Place the mixture into an earthenware dish, top with the rest of the cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Place in a pre heated oven for 15 – 20 minutes. Serve on its own or with grilled meat.
*(prices correct at time of publication – supermarket prices and offers may vary)