Try to use local vegetables for this dish, substitute for vegetables growing in your area. Squash, courgettes, peppers and aubergines are always delicious. Serve the tomato and veg sauce with pasta if you haven’t got time to make the full lasagne.
Approx price: £5.53 or £1.38 per portion
Time: 50 mins
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and diced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and sliced thinly)
- 2 parsnips (peeled, core removed and diced and )
- 1 pack spinach (washed)
- 2 cans chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 teaspoon of thyme (dried)
- 0.25 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 500 mls of low fat milk
- 1 tablespoon of cornflour
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 pack lasagna sheets
- 100 g Cheese (vegetarian)
- Oven Temperature: 350ºF – 180ºC – Gas Mark 4 – Moderate
- Heat a frying pan, add the oil, heat for 30 seconds. Add the onions, fry for 1 – 2 minutes, add the rest of the ingredients, leaving the spinach until the carrots and parsnips have cooked for 3 – 4 minutes. The spinach will wilt to nearly nothing. Add the tomatoes and the tomato puree, stir well.
- Leave to simmer for 15 minutes, carrots and parsnips should be nearly cooked. Taste and season accordingly. Sometimes a pinch or two of sugar can will bring out the flavours.
- Whilst the sauce is cooking, make the white sauce by:
- Placing all the milk but 2 tablespoons into a saucepan to boil. Mix the cornflour with the reserved cold milk, mix to a paste.
- When the milk has boiled, pour some into the cornflour paste, stirring, place back into the saucepan. Heat up the sauce for 1 – 2 minutes until it thickens. Don’t leave the sauce to thicken without stirring as it will go lumpy. Add the butter and a little seasoning.
- To assemble the lasagne:
- Place a layer of the tomato and vegetable sauce into an oven proof pie dish. On top place a layer of lasagne sheets. Repeat until all the tomato and veg sauce is used.
- Place the white sauce on top of the tomato sauce, and the grated cheese on top of the sauce.
- Place on a baking sheet and into a hot oven for 20 -25 minutes.
- Serve on its own or with home made potato wedges.