The Average Retired Briton Aged 65+ Is Visited By Family Just Once A Month

0
794

New research has found that the average retired Briton over the age of 65 will only have family visit once a month on average, stating that their relatives are ‘too busy’ with their own families, live too far away or simply can’t afford to visit more than they do.

Care for the elderly is something that everyone supports and wants to obtain for family members, however a new study has found that the average Briton who has retired will only be visited by their relatives on average once a month. What’s more, 91% confess to feeling isolated and a further 57% of those polled say they often feel lonely.

The research was carried out by www.VoucherCodesPro.co.uk as part of an ongoing study in Britons relationships.

For the purpose on the study, 1,843 Britons aged 65 and over, all of whom stated they were retired, were quizzed.

Family visiting grandparents

Initially all respondents were asked ‘Do you have a partner that lives with you?’ to which two fifths of respondents (44%) stated that ‘yes’ they did, with the remaining 56% revealing they did not. When respondents were asked how often their relatives come to visit, the average answer emerged to be just once a month when taking all responses into account.

Wanting to find out more about this, participants were asked why it was their family members didn’t visit more often. When provided with a list of possible reasons why and told to select all that applied, the following five reasons emerged as the most common:

  1. My relatives are too busy with their own families – 78%
  2. My relatives live too far away – 67%
  3. They simply can’t afford to visit me more often – 42%
  4. I don’t get on with my relatives – 26%
  5. My relatives only get in touch when they’re in need – 19%

Wanting to delve a little deeper, respondents were asked how it made them feel when their family doesn’t visit, with the overwhelming majority (91%) saying it makes them feel ‘isolated’.

When questioned as to whether they ever felt lonely, 67% admitted they ‘often’ feel this way, with 9 in 10 respondents (94%) wishing their relatives visited more often. When asked how often they’d like them to visit, the average response was ‘at least once per week’.

Finally, all respondents were asked how often their family rang them to talk with them, average answer to this question emerging to be once every two weeks. When asked how often they phoned their relatives instead of waiting for them to call, 47% confess to trying to call at least once per week. Just 31% stated that their relatives answer all of their calls.

George Charles, spokesperson for www.VoucherCodesPro.co.uk, commented on the findings:

“We all know about campaigns which try to encourage people to take care of elderly neighbours and relatives; loneliness is very real and very isolating. We are all disgusted to hear about older people who do not receive any visitors, so why is it that so many people still have no urgency to visit their own grandparents or parents on a regular basis – to check in on them, but also to give them some company every now and then? It’s clear that many Britons need to make more of a conscious effort to visit their elderly relatives. If you can’t afford it, make sure you ring them at the very least – just hearing a friendly voice can make someone’s day.”