These can make lovely winter solstice decorations in the shapes of moons and suns and stars or they can make lovely gifts. You will need:
200ml (1/3 pint) water, 300g (10oz) plain flour, 300g (10oz) salt, 1 tbsp of vegetable oil, cookie cutters, string or ribbon, acrylic paints, baking sheet.
- Combine flour, salt and water in a large bowl. If the dough seems sticky, add more flour.
- Take a handful of the dough and roll out with a rolling pin.
- Cut into shapes with the cookie cutters.
- Make a hole in top of the decoration for the ribbon (a dry piece of spaghetti is good).
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and put in oven at 180c, gas 4 for 8 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Remove from oven and allow cooling.
- Paint with acrylic paints.
- Allow to dry, and thread your ribbon through the hole.
- Decorate your tree, wrap for gifts, or hang in windows.