If you haven’t already started planning for your Christmas shopping this year, now’s the time to get organised to make sure you grab yourself some bargains.
Our shopping expert, Denise Porter, shares her top savings tips ahead of the Christmas rush.
[tubepress video= lA2WnKgV3XY]
Time-saving shopping tips
- If you can, always check prices online before you shop and before buying, so you know exactly where to go for the cheaper deal.
- Check stock availability and reserve if possible
- Plan which shops you need and write the list accordingly
- Shop mid-week to avoid those weekend queues
- Consider ‘experience gifts’; they are personal, appreciated and save you time
Money-saving shopping tips
- Try to spread the cost of Christmas over two months’ wages
- Look for discounted offers both in-store and online. Search for voucher codes to see if you can get a discount off your total purchase
- Plan your spending to avoid impulse buys
- Purchased deal such as 2 for 1, or BOGOF, or buy 2 get the 3rd free, especially with toys
- Use discounted gift cards
- Collect money off coupons in magazines, in-store and online
- Try not to use credit cards but if you do go for interest free and plan your monthly budget to pay this off within the timescales.
General Christmas shopping tips
- Most popular toys will sell out very quickly so consider buying them first
- Make up your own gift hampers for friends and family
- On-pack promotions – only purchase goods that you need as most promotions do not add value
- Arrange for friends or family to child share to free up your time to shop
- Take a sandwich to avoid expensive cafes
- Give yourself plenty of time so you don’t make rushed decisions
- If you can, travel to Shopping Outlets to get those bargains
- If you are unsure what to buy a certain member of the family or a friend, then choose a gift card from the shop you know they like the most