We can live quite healthy without meat but we certainly cannot live a healthy life without vegetables. Make sure to eat at least two portions at main mealtime, variety is the key to getting enough nutrients into your diet so try to change it up as much as you can. Always store frozen vegetables for a quick add on if there aren’t two portions per meal in your weekly meal plan.
This week’s family meal planner includes spicy lamb mince tacos, chicken, broccoli and sweet chilli stir fry, turkey, bean and vegetable stew, fish cassoulet and vegetable pasta bake. The approximate cost is just £21.99 for a family of four! (price correct at time of publication – supermarket prices and offers may vary – exclusive of store cupboard staples). Links in our recipes will show you where to get the best deal.
- Spicy lamb mince tacos with sweet potato wedges and salad: Unfortunately potatoes isn’t part of your vegetable intake (potatoes are classified as a carbohydrate). However make up the two portions of vegetables each member of the family need with plenty of fresh salad ingredients or a portion of peas and corn from the store cupboard. Approx price: £5.64 or £1.41 per portion.
- Chicken, broccoli and sweet chilli stir fry:Plenty of vegetables in today’s meal, add a small packet of cooked noodles from the store cupboard if your family are very hungry. Approx price: £5 or £1.25 per portion.
- Turkey, bean and vegetable stew: Deliciously comforting and full of goodness. No need to add more vegetables but a chunk of bread and cheese would balance the meal really well. Approx price: £3.30 or 85p per portion.
- Fish with butter bean, chorizo and tomato cassoulet with baby potatoes and frozen green beans: Omit the chorizo if you prefer, however it does give a good smokey flavour to the dish. A green vegetable for example, frozen peas or chopped kale, adds colour and extra nutrients. To retain the nutrients in the green vegetable, steam over the pot of boiling potatoes. Approx price: £5.99 or £1.50 per portion.
- Vegetable pasta bake: And yet more vegetables. Cheap, cheerful and comforting. Any vegetables can be used, so if you have a veg that needs using up now’s the time. If you want to add a little extra this dish why not add a few sausages or a can of tuna. Approx price: £2.06 or 52p per portion.
- Sian is a home economist with over 25 years’ experience as a secondary school teacher and now running her own private cookery school with a focus on meal planning. After years of seeing people struggling to provide healthy meals everyday for their families, she created her own meal planning system at Siansplan.com
All the meals included in our weekly family meal planners are child friendly and provide nutrients from each of the food groups (proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals).
Every week, Sian from Siansplan.com puts together five quick and easy recipes for our week’s family meal planner. You can choose to make them on whichever day of the week suits you best.
There is plenty of variety throughout the week, and each recipe is specially designed with a family and busy lifestyle in mind. None of the meals with take you long to prepare, and they will be ready for hungry tums to enjoy in no-time. Quite simply a yummy family meal planner that includes quick and easy recipes so you can plan ahead, use leftovers, get the nutrients you need and save money in the process.