A wonderfully hearty dish, and a twist on a classic. It takes just minutes to rustle up, and then you can sit back while it bubbles in the oven. An ideal supper, or family meal.
How many does it serve? 4
What is the prep time? 15 mins
What is the cooking time? 35 mins
What you need:
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 150g Cheddar cheese
- 300g macaroni
- 2 bunches British asparagus (spears trimmed and cut in half)
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
What you do:
- Heat the grill and cook the bacon on each side until very crisp. Chop into small chunks and combine with the bread crumbs and ¼ of the cheese then set aside.
- Boil the kettle to fill a large pan. When boiling vigorously in the pan add a pinch of salt and the macaroni. Cook for 9 minutes then add the asparagus and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- While the macaroni is cooking, melt the butter in a small thick-based saucepan, sprinkle in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon. Cook whilst stirring for a minute then add the milk a little at a time, stirring continuously so it is absorbed into the flour and slowly makes a smooth sauce. If you get any lumps, don’t panic, just beat vigorously with the wooden spoon and they’ll disperse. Stir in the mustard, some black pepper and the remaining cheese.
- Once the macaroni and asparagus are cooked, drain well and return them to the pan. Pour over the cheese sauce and stir to coat well. Tip the macaroni into a large oven dish, sprinkle over the breadcrumb mixture and return to the grill for the top to melt and brown.
By the way, don’t forget to check the best furnaces online that I have ever owned, they are from hvacdirect.com and the best option to have this winter.
Recipe provided to MyFamilyClub by www.enjoyasparagus.com