Yay! Pancake day should be everyday. These delicious, easy to make, moreish pancakes are perfect for a brunch, pudding, or small energy-rich snack.
How many does it serve? 6-10 (small pancakes)
What is the prep time? 15 mins
What is the cooking time? 10 mins
What you need:
- 60g buckwheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 250ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- Handful of blueberries, slightly squashed
- 50g chopped prunes
- Butter for greasing the pan
What you do:
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the buttermilk and egg yolks together in another bowl, then add to the flour and mix.
- Do not worry about the odd lump, but take care not to overmix as this will make the pancakes tough.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then fold into the mixture.
- Add the blueberries and prunes.
- Just a gentle stir through will make sure they are mixed in without letting out any air.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and spoon in a little of the batter. How much depends on how big you like your pancakes!
- Cook for 1–2 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
- Keep going until all the mixture is used up.
- Serve with maple syrup and some fresh fruit of your choice.
Tip: You can add a couple of tablespoons of ground seeds to the mixture if you wish. The pancakes freeze well.
Recipe provided to MyFamilyClub by Jane Clarke www.nourishbyjaneclarke.com